Gestational Diabetes
So, I have been thinking a lot today, and I decided to share:) Yesterday I had my Dr. appointment and did the whole routine glucose test-you know, the one where you drink that tasty orange stuff and wait forever to get your blood drawn! No big deal, right? That is what I was thinking until later that day, the nurse called and told me how high my glucose levels were, and that I didn't even need to return to take the 3 hour test-
I had gestational diabetes. WHAT?!!??
After I got back into my chair, I realized I didn't really know very much about gestational diabetes. I asked some questions, and then started doing some research. I went back today and got my "stuff" along with a 101 crash course and a packet of info. The nurse wants me to come back next week and attend a 2 hour class in order to educate me on how to have a healthy pregnancy and avoid a 10 lb baby (j/k) Anyway, I have had some mixed feelings, and I cried most of the way home just because it made me feel better. (don't worry mom, I'm ok.) Tonight as I wrote in my journal I felt like I had some neat inspiration/answers, and that I should share them. So, understanding that my whole perspective might be different after I really get into this, I think the Lord is trying to help me get off on the right foot.
I decided to explore the good things about gestational diabetes.
1. I'm pretty much obligated to remove all candy, junk food, and most sugar from my diet. My motivation? The health of my baby. Well, I shouldn't eat those things anyway, and at least now I have a really good motivation!
2. An opportunity to sacrifice something I love, (and often crave,) which helps me to be humble and seek the Lord for strength.
3. A deeper understanding and compassion for others with diabetes, or other eating limitations.
4. A need/opportunity to better understand and learn more about how my body functions, and the science of food...quite interesting actually.
5. A new trial--to keep me on my toes and stay out of my comfort zone. Something to test my character and faith, (and hopefully strengthen them,) and give the Lord yet another chance to pour down those blessings. (fingers crossed!!!)
So, the question now is, can I do it, and not get all depressed and discouraged when it is hard? Well, I guess we will find out! But, I predict, like everything else, it will go up and down with good weeks and hard weeks. But, in the end, if I'm doing my best, and trusting the Lord, that it will leave me a better person...and how is that ever a bad thing!
On that note---good luck with trials you may be facing. Keep your chin up and rely on the Lord. I know He is always there and that He gives great hugs! (sometimes in the form of friends or family, or an angel here and there.) Life moves fast, and there is so much good to be had. Enjoy it whenever you can!

You are amazing Roxanne!
ReplyDeleteYou never cease to amaze me be your awesomeness! Way to have an amazing attitude.
ReplyDeleteYes it's me John checking out your blog.
ReplyDeleteKnow we all love you (especially when I give you are hard time) and we are praying for you and your little family while Shon is away. I just sent a couple of angels your way this morning they will be at the airport soon if Dad doesn't get talking to the gate agent and miss their flight.
You have lots of support all you have to do is call for it. Lova ya, you are awesome.
I'm sure you have a good doctor and other wonderful healthcare providers, but if you ever need any questions answered I'd be happy to try and answer them for you. I've been down this road with my sister-in-law recently, and I know it can be a bit overwhelming.
ReplyDeleteJust know that the after the initial learning curve, managing gestational diabetes is completely doable- especially for you, since you are amazing!!! And like I tell everyone who ever asks me dietary questions, all things in moderation!