Friday, May 29, 2009

Zions Park and Driving

We camped out in Zion's Park for a break on our way to Fort Huachuca. I thought I'd share some photos of our fun. This was Cody's first camping experience and I think he liked it. We are all excited for Redfish Lake :) And...thanks to Nick and Amy for letting us borrow a tent (since all our stuff of course was in storage!).

Shon hooked us up with a nice campsite. The rug was an abandoned treasure that kept the sand down.
So here's a funny, yet painful story: The trees were just barely too far apart for the hammock and Shon's ropes and climbing loops were packed away, but I had some rope in my car. We really thought it was decent rope and we rigged up the hammock to work. I enjoyed resting in it and Shon decided he wanted to relax too. Just as he was getting in, that nice rope decided two people were more than enough and it snapped. Down I went, I thought I'd broken something for sure. My tailbone still hurts even weeks later. My ambitions for hiking to the top of the world or even angel's landing ended right then and there. I wasn't in hiking shape anymore, it hurt to walk on level ground! So, that was a little depressing, but we were still able to do some easy short hikes and enjoy the amazingly gorgeous scenery of Zions. (We won't mention the fun time I had sitting on my bottom and driving another 12 or so hours the next couple days!) I guess it makes a good story now that it's over :)


This is weeping rock. Cody loved his backpack!


We had a little picnic on the grass.



Welcome to the desert!




The drive really was pretty. We stopped and shot some pictures once in awhile. It was hard to catch it on camera, though. We live in a beautiful world. I'm glad we have the chance to enjoy it and see so many different kinds of land.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you are enjoying your traveling of this country. It really is cool that you get to go to all these places. Sorry about the sore bottom, hopefully nothing is seriously wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute pics! All I could think is how brave you are to camp with a baby. I'm so terrified of that! LOLOLOL

    Hope your tushy feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roxanne, I need you to be my neighbor so you we can have adventures. I'm becoming old and lazy before my time. We should plan a date to meet at yosemite or Johsua tree or the grand canyon or something equidistant between LA and AZ.

    ReplyDelete