Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Wisdom of a Child

A couple of days ago I was reminded how much I learn from my children. My little Cody loves to wrestle, get dirty, and run around like a wild man...but he is also very sensitive to other's feelings and so kind and sweet. In the past, when I get upset, he will say, "don't get mad mommy, please don't be mad. I'm so very sorry." I realized that getting "mad" just didn't work so well, so I started saying that certain things he did would make me SAD, hoping he would understand not to do them.
Well, he and Kali were eating breakfast, and slapping their hands and utensils on the table. Of course they don't stop when I ask. Trying not to get mad, I reminded Cody that if he keeps it up he or Kali will probably spill something and then that will make mommy sooooo sad. So PLEASE stop! That's when Cody said, "Don't be sad mommy. Daddy says we should be happy! Be Happy, not sad." My little angel had kindly reminded me that people don't MAKE us happy, or sad, or anything at all unless we let them. He reminded me that no matter what he and his sister did or didn't do....if I was sad it was because I chose to be, that I can choose how to react to a situation, and he, nor anyone else has the power to MAKE me feel a certain way. So back to the drawing board with Cody and choice of words in discipline! I am glad I have plenty of opportunity to practice different ideas with these little kids of mine. I just hope one of these days I discover one that works:)
"You happy now, mommy?"
Yes, Cody. I AM happy!

3 comments:

  1. He is such a wise little boy. You will get it sis, you will show him by your example, he knows what he wants, he knows that you and Shon are happy, and he knows the difference, and he chooses happy. He is such a lucky little boy. And I am such a lucky grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, don't you just love all that you learn from your children. Who's the parent here ;) I so love your attitude towards that cuz I would have been all...Don't sas me boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a good mama! I don't know how you keep up and stay happy too!

    ReplyDelete