Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Crazy, Busy, and so tired!

Well, I realized time has flown and so much has happened the last month. I thought I would grab some photos and do a little update. Really, though, this is only a snapshot of the fun we've had.....just to give you a taste.
The moving truck FINALLY got here (AZ) and Cody was in heaven. He couldn't believe "Mac" had come to his very own house!
He wanted to help sooooo much.
We got all packed up and headed East. It was a very long drive but we did it! 5 days on the road, then another 8 in a hotel, (I'll spare you the details of that!) and then the unpacking begins.

We are very happy with our new house. (I'm stoked because it has carpet in the bedrooms and the tile actually looks like tile instead of my high school cafeteria floor.)

Shon got right to work putting up a fence. (Might I mention it's over 100 degrees out here and sooo humid!)

Our stuff came Sunday afternoon, and then Monday night I went to the airport to pick up Effie Shen who flew in from Taiwan to visit for a couple of weeks! So....instead of spending time organizing the house, we entertained and played! I guess some things can wait and it was so much fun seeing her again. She is fifteen now and I think the last time I saw here she was like 10. I also got to speak Chinese on a regular basis which was fun, (but exhausting!) I really loved speaking the language again and it made me miss my mission a lot. I love the Shen family and I can't wait to make it back sometime to Taiwan and see them all again!
Doing a little service and babysitting.

Kali in the tunnel
Cody caught red handed trying to snatch a popsicle! Man, that kid can climb!
Washington DC. We spent a day there and Danny showed us around. (Thanks Danny--you are a super tour guide and great company too.) That was one of the highlights of the two weeks! This is inside the Library of Congress. The buildings there are beautiful!
Danny and Roxanne at the capital

Effie at the Washington Monument

Shon, Cody, and Annabelle
Having some fun on the boats. Shon is in heaven here, too, because there are so many places to use his kayaks. You can put in the Appomattox River just 10 minutes from our house. Effie also did a great job figuring out paddling and moving around on the boats.

Effie
We love all the green here. It is a big change from the desert of Arizona.

We went to the young women's activity and had s'mores! They don't really make those in Taiwan!

Headed into Richmond to see Maymont Park. It is a beautiful place!
Cody and Kali feeding the animals
The Maymont Mansion (and Cody running around like a crazy boy.)
Cody in the Italian Gardens. They were beautiful!
Cody and Effie by the waterfall stairs making a wish in the pool.
Roxanne and Cody at the bottom of the waterfall in the Japanese Gardens.


Kali trying to be just like her big bro. She doesn't like pacifiers really, except to be like Cody. But she loves wearing his helmet and trying to ride his bike.
My two bugs drawing on the back patio. I can't believe I waited so long to introduce them to sidewalk chalk!

We went to a 3D show.
Virginia Beach here we come! Kali started out clean. Too bad I didn't get a picture afterwards when she was covered in sand.
I don't think Cody ever left the water, and Kali would have jumped right in if I'd have let her. Out in the distance you can even see Shon playing on his kayak!

Kayaks and the beach. We invited some friends to come...yep, we've already met some fun friends to hang out with! We saw a whole bunch of dolphins too. It was cool when they would jump out of the water. Shon chased them out on his boats and said they swam right next to him!

Effie was too dry.
Effie. Say Cheese!

What a fun few weeks we had. We sent Effie off Sunday and now I'm busy getting caught up. We had a lot of fun, but I admit that it feels nice to slow down a little and maybe take a breather. We don't know how long we will end up being here, so I just decided to unpack everything and enjoy this time as best we can. So far, we like it here. Our ward seems nice, our neighbors are nice, and there is plenty to do for fun!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you made it safely to your new home! I hope you love it and make wonderful friends and memories!

    (P.S. I love the picture of Cody scaling the fridge to get into the freezer for a popsicle.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Roxy! Looks like more adventures ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness how the kids have grown! I love your house! And the backyard looks huge! Effie looks just like her mom! You are the best Roxanne. I always feel better after being a little bit into your life. You have sooo much fun, and you enjoy it all. Thank you for a fresh start to day. Stay happy, and healthy. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Do you all ever stop? even the kids! It was fun to see you went to Virginia Beach. That is not too far from where Aaron was and we went there too, although it was a bit chilly to really enjoy the beach. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete